The Institute for Experiential Learning (IFEL) is a global service organization committed to empowering individuals, teams and organizations to reach their full potential through experiential learning.
We promote Kolb Experiential Learning through education, professional development, consulting, training, coaching, assessment, research and a community of practice.
We have helped clients from the private, public and nonprofit sectors worldwide. Our customers include individuals, teams and organizations from education (K‑12 and higher ed), professional services (financial management, law, accounting, engineers, IT professionals, consultants), health care, banking and finance, technology, manufacturing, and social services, among others.
IFEL is an experiential learning hub that offers courses, workshops, certificate programs and other learning experiences that meet the needs of corporate groups and organizations, educators, teams and individuals. The institute’s experienced team also offers coaching, one-on-one training, and training customized to our clients’ needs.
Our professional development and online learning programs are delivered in three methods: asynchronous, self-paced; blended programs with virtual workshops; and, one-on-one coached experiences.
The Experiential Learning Community of Practice supports practitioners who apply experiential learning in their work.
The IFEL mission
We are committed to helping individuals, teams and organizations reach their full potential through the deliberate and transformative process of experiential learning.
The IFEL vision
- We envision a world in which individuals apply the experiential learning four-dimensional process of learning and development to reach their full potential.
- We envision thriving educational institutions that are learner-centered and where students are engaged and prepared for 21st century careers and a life of learning. To do this we support educators in their professional development using experiential learning.
- We envision teams that share a framework for driving collective intelligence to enable better and faster learning and innovating.
- We envision organizations that promote the development of deliberate learning so that people can release their full potential for sustainable, value-creating innovation.
- We foster an environment of respect, appreciation and acceptance.
- We exhibit the highest standards for ethic and integrity.
- We are accountable for delivering on our commitments.
- We establish world-class standards on a research-driven, theory-based foundation for a proven process of learning.
- We constantly seek to imagine and reinvent the future of learning.
- Continuous learning and development
- We value and promote learning and development at every stage of a person’s life.
What is experiential learning?
David A. Kolb’s four-step learning process (the learning cycle) and nine ways of approaching it (the learning styles) is a holistic approach to learning and development that can be applied to every aspect of life. We at the Institute for Experiential Learning believe that continuous change requires continuous learning. We live in a VUCA world – full of volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity – that demands continuous adaptation and learning by individuals, teams and organizations.
To learn more about experiential learning, see our guide to “What is Experiential Learning?”
What does the Institute for Experiential Learning do?
We at the Institute for Experiential Learning provide a rigorous, proven process for lifelong learning while customizing our approach and delivery to our clients’ unique needs.
- We recognize that your challenges are unique. So are your strengths and your needs. One size does not fit all.
- To meet them, we combine a rigorous, research-based process that allows us to replicate success. It is grounded in the work of David Kolb, who optimized a four-step experiential learning process incorporating nine learning styles. It follows the process that our brain uses to learn deliberately and thoroughly.
- To meet your unique challenges, we personalize our programs to address your unique needs and customize our delivery to best suit you, including programs tailored for individuals, teams and organizations delivered in person or online.
Our approach delivers better, faster, more sustainable results.
- Rather than providing you a meal; we teach you how to fish. We empower you to take charge of your own learning and development.
- By making the process of learning explicit, we create a shared language so that people can navigate the complete learning cycle together, discuss their preferred styles, explore how their styles differ, and increase their effectiveness.
- We provide professional development for educators who wish to become experiential educators, use experiential learning for instructional design, and make the process of learning explicit for their learners.
- We can link any topic to learning for your team and organization — leadership development, team work, client development, customer service and satisfaction, mentoring, coaching, emotional intelligence, adaptability and flexibility, critical thinking, innovation, creativity, and even having difficult conversations all involve learning. By using a foundation of experiential learning, team and organizations can scaffold any knowledge, skills or attitudes and enable people to immediately identify their preferences for steps in the process and where they need to learn and develop.
- This shared process and shared language is incredibly powerful because it leads to better results more quickly and more sustainably with much higher levels and engagement and satisfaction by teams.
Who benefits from working with IFEL?
We work with leaders and managers; educators in K‑12 and higher education; human resource professionals in learning and development, talent development and organization development; coaches; professionals in all fields, including health care, law, engineering, financial services, education, manufacturing, management, professional services, and non-profit settings.
Learn more about how you can use the Institute for Experiential Learning as a:
- Corporate client or organization
- Coach or mentor
- Individual learner
How can you learn more?
Contact Kay Peterson and our team to learn more about IFEL’s courses, programs and services.