Engaging in online programs involves a new set of challenges that requires trainers to adapt. Building engagement, integrating and interpreting new information, and designing activities are different in the online environment.
This program applies the foundational principles of the Kolb Experiential Learning Theory to the online environment to ensure the utmost engagement and effective outcomes.
This program applies Kolb Experiential Learning Theory from all perspectives: the trainer-educator, the learner, the virtual space, online program design and delivery, and continuous improvement. This unique program focuses on the practical application of virtual training and the self-discovery and development of the trainer who is navigating the transition from face-to-face classes or workshops to online training. To support you in becoming an exemplary virtual trainer, you will step through the process of re-thinking your face-to-face programs for a virtual environment. You will create a real training session, practice delivering it, receive feedback from peers and facilitators, and determine ways to improve.
Whether your training topic is leadership, team building, business or biology, this program will equip you with the tools to design and deliver your content online in an experiential, engaging, informative manner. By the completion of this course, you will feel confident about putting experiential learning into practice for impactful virtual educational experiences for your target audience. You will hone your knowledge, skills, and attitudes in the emerging field of experiential online learning to become an exemplar.
Please note: This course is not a Zoom tutorial. Although we provide resources about these technical functions, this course is a more complete program.
Skills You Will Gain
Experiential learning, instructional design, course evaluation, technology evaluation, learning analytics
A competence consists of related knowledge, skills and attitudes. This program will equip you with the knowledge, skills and attitudes to execute effective experiential online meetings and classes. Learning objectives include:
- Use a pragmatic and experiential approach to online educational training.
- Increase your knowledge on the nine different learning styles and learn how to cater to all styles throughout your online training.
- Apply experiential methods for training design and delivery for the virtual setting
- Develop your skills in designing and delivering online training.
- Practice your curriculum design, presentation and facilitation skills online.
- Provide and receive feedback on online training design and delivery in a safe environment.
- Develop your self-awareness regarding your personal online training style, training strengths and challenges in the virtual setting.
- Increase your self-confidence with online facilitation through practice sessions.
- Raise your awareness on how to engage and motivate learners and make online trainings impactful, memorable, and fun.
- Increase your willingness and ability to create experiential learning virtual spaces that are psychologically safe for participants and create value and lasting impact.
How It Works
Becoming an Online Experiential Trainer is a project-based interactive blended learning program that supports the development of knowledge, attitudes and skills in designing and delivering experiential online programs and meetings.
The program is delivered in either a one-week experiential online training boot camp accompanied by asynchronous online content, or once weekly for six weeks. Included is regular online peer communication for the purpose of feedback on training design and delivery.
Participants must attend 5 of the 6 classes live; sessions will be recorded for later viewing.
The topics of the sessions are:
- Introduction to the Course: Getting to Know Myself and Others
- Online Experiential Learning
- Online Engagement: Engaging all 9 Learning Styles Online
- Training Delivery: Overcoming Challenges to Online Learning
- Online Technological Tools to Enhance Meaningful Interaction
- Practicum: Delivering Experiential Workshops
- Evaluation Session and Planning Next Steps
Upon successful completion of each module and attendance in at least five of the six online sessions, individuals will receive a Certificate of Achievement from the Institute for Experiential Learning.
Who Should Take This Course?
- Educators, human resource professionals, trainers, coaches, executives, team leaders, managers, facilitators and consultants
- Anyone with experience delivering online meetings, and those who wish to become more comfortable with their skillset, deepen their understanding and knowledge of virtual training design and delivery, and improve their effectiveness and outcomes
- Individuals with knowledge about experiential learning who need to learn more about practical application in the online environment
- Anyone interested in learning how to put experiential education into practice online or those who wish to begin a career as an online experiential learning trainer/educator
- Subject matter experts who wish to develop their competences in transferring knowledge online in an experiential and engaging way