People spend their entire lives continually learning, but few understand how they learn or the impact that it has on their choices, decisions and effectiveness. When you consider that learning is the major process by which one navigates life, learning how to do this well becomes an essential condition to reaching one’s full potential.
The Kolb Experiential Learning Profile (KELP) is a self-reflection tool to help people understand how to learn from their experience, to understand their approach to using that process, and to guide them in their future development. This instrument was created to help you understand the ideal process of learning, to build awareness regarding your unique way of learning, and to use these insights to improve your learning power. The KELP report describes learning strengths and leads you through a process of applying these strengths to learning in everyday life. In the KELP report individuals learn about:
- The use of the cycle of learning, an ideal approach to learning, to improve effectiveness in work and life
- Learning style, the expression of your use of the learning cycle that brings strengths and challenges and impacts life choices
- Learning flexibility, the ability to use all styles for greater range and agility in managing different contexts and complex, changing situations
- Applying the information and insights to increase learning power, and to become more effective in decision-making, working on a team, resolving conflict, communicating with others, and learning in school and at work
The Kolb Experiential Learning Profile Certification Program is designed to share the attitudes, knowledge and skills you will need to introduce, administer and debrief the Kolb Experiential Learning Profile (KELP). This program will help you to communicate the richness and many benefits of living life as a learner and to ignite this power within others. With KELP Certification, you will be able to demonstrate how the KELP is not a one-time insight but can become a working mental model that raises self-awareness every day in every situation. You will empower individuals to take charge of their own learning instead of being limited by a current, unexamined approach.
Everyone is capable of reaching their full potential and transforming their life at any stage, no matter the circumstances, if they continue to learn and develop. By using the KELP to its full potential, you will be supporting others to reach theirs.
- Introduce experiential learning in a way that ignites enthusiasm for learning and development as an approach to living
- Create a safe learning space in which to introduce and debrief the KELP
- Demonstrate conceptual knowledge about experiential learning, the learning cycle, learning styles and learning flexibility, and the KELP as an instrument for self-reflection
- Educate learners about the KELP as a means of self-reflection while differentiating it from other typologies
- Administer the KELP to individual and groups
- Debrief results of the KELP with individuals and groups
- Link conceptual knowledge of experiential learning with practical applications, such as making decisions and building learning flexibility
- Develop self-awareness regarding preferences, strengths and challenges in coaching and developing others
How It Works
The Kolb Experiential Learning Profile Certificate Program is a practice-based program delivered in a one-week experiential virtual workshop, accompanied by additional online content. The class will meet for three two-hour sessions over the course of one week. You will receive a KELP, instructions and communication for administering the KELP, sample program designs and materials for introducing the KELP to individuals and groups, and a suggested debrief process to review KELP results. You will become part of the KELP Community of Practice to continue sharing best practices and updates.
Upon successful completion of each module and attendance of all virtual workshop sessions, you will receive a Certificate of Achievement from the Institute for Experiential Learning and a digital badge that can be displayed on social media.
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is ideal for:
- Educators, human resource professionals, coaches, learning and development professionals, trainers and facilitators
- Leaders, managers and team leaders who wish to coach and develop others
- Career counselors
- Organizational development professionals
If you have a group that would benefit from this program, please contact us for additional dates and times.
Kay Peterson, the founder of the Institute for Experiential Learning, an experienced coach and facilitator, and co-author with David Kolb of How You Learn Is How You Live: Using Nine Ways of Learning to Transform Your Life (Berrett-Koehler).